On Canada Day, jazz fans will have lots of choices, and all free.
The National Capital Commission (NCC) has just announced its musical lineup for the day: it includes jazz on Parliament Hill and other venues, as well as in coordination with the Ottawa Jazz Festival at Confederation Park.
The evening show on Parliament Hill will include performances by
- Cuban singer/guitarist Alex Cuba,
- Saskatchewan jazz chanteuse Dione Taylor,
- gospel/jazz favourites the Montreal Jubilation Gospel Choir, and
- boogie-woogie/jazz pianist and singer Michael Kaeshammer.
It will run from 6:30 to 11 p.m., and will be broadcast on CBC, CBC Newsworld, Radio-Canada and RDI starting at 9 p.m., and carried live on CBC Bold.
Dione Taylor will also be part of the noon show on Parliament Hill. This show will be broadcast live on CBC Television, CBC Newsworld, Radio-Canada and RDI.
At the National Arts Centre, Staff 613 will play outdoors at 1 and 2:30 p.m.: a "fusion of compa, zouk, R & B, reggae, hip hop, Latin and jazz". At Major's Hill Park, the Marc Atkinson Trio (a 2010 Juno nominee) will play gypsy jazz at 11:30 a.m. And, in Jacques-Cartier Park in Gatineau, Sagapool will play Manouche jazz at 2 p.m.
The most jazz, of course, will be in Confederation Park. The main stage will feature:
- Noon: The Bluesberries, featuring Gord Grdina, doing an introduction to jazz for young people
- 2 p.m.: TD Jazz Youth Summit, showing off up-and-coming jazz players from across Canada, and their work together over the previous week
- 4 p.m.: the Lorraine Desmarais Big Band. Desmarais on piano will be joined by 15 top-notch Montreal jazz artists, including André Leroux, Jean-Pierre Zanella, Jocelyn Couture, Aron Doyle, and Fréderic Alarie.
Other non-jazz artists will also appear on the main and OLG stages. More info at ottawajazzfestival.com/index.php/concerts/concerts-by-date/july-1/
And, of course, if you're looking for other types of music, whether classical, folk, pop, or rock, there's much more. More information at canadascapital.gc.ca/canadaday/ .