Ottawa jazz percussionist, composer, and educator Jesse Stewart was named to the Order of Ottawa last week.
He was among 15 local residents inducted into the order at a ceremony at City Hall on November 20. As part of the ceremony, Stewart performed alongside Korean master percussionist Dong-Won Kim, who was in Ottawa in order to perform and record with Stewart. They had previously played together at this September's Guelph Jazz Festival.
The Order of Ottawa recognizes exceptional residents who have made a significant contribution in a professional capacity in many areas of city life, including arts and culture.
In 2012, the Stretch Orchestra (with Stewart, Kevin Breit, and Matt Brubeck) won the Juno Award for Instrumental Album of the Year. Stewart has also performed with numerous other notable jazz musicians and avant-garde improvisers, in Ottawa and elsewhere. He has been widely commissioned as a composer and his music has been featured at festivals throughout Canada, the United States and Europe.
Stewart is an associate professor in the music department at Carleton University, and an adjunct professor in the Visual Arts program at the University of Ottawa. At Carleton, he received the Marston LaFrance Research Fellowship in 2013 and the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Teaching Achievement Award in 2014. He has also volunteered his time to bring music and improvisation to local schools, H'Art of Ottawa, KidsAbility Youth Orchestra in Guelph, and the Ottawa Mission's Discovery University.
– Alayne McGregor
See OttawaJazzScene.ca stories about Jesse Stewart:
- Guelph Jazz Festival helps kids find their voices through technology (KidsAbility Youth Orchestra)
- H'Art artists and Jesse Stewart collaborate for a multi-media musical theatre show
- Jesse Stewart talks about the challenges of making music outdoors at -25C (video)
- Two exceptional percussionists play the Ottawa Jazz Festival this week (video)
- Hamid Drake and Jesse Stewart fill GigSpace with complex sounds (review)
- The Jesse Stewart Trio sparks everyone's imagination (review)
- Guelph 2013: Hamid Drake & Jesse Stewart share a creative imagination (review)
- Jesse Stewart's Gnomon Variations a timely arrival for 20th Guelph Jazzfest
- Where there's no smoke there's Fire
- An improvised rock concert
- It's about time to see Jesse Stewart's "Time pieces"
- The Stretch Orchestra makes jazz bend