Jazz vocalist Renée Yoxon and keyboard player François Gravel have just completed two years of playing together every Monday night in the lower level of the Mercury Lounge (formerly Bar 56, now the Overkill Bar). That makes them one of the longer-running weekly acts in the city.
OttawaJazzScene.ca editor Alayne McGregor interviewed Renée the day before her anniversary show, asking her for her secrets of success, and what a Monday late-night crowd is really like.
You can hear the podcast at 111106-Yoxon2ndAnnInterview.mp3 [6:47 minutes, 4MB].
- Jazzfest 2011: Renée Yoxon and René Gely
- A look and listen inside Theo Bleckmann's masterclass with Renée Yoxon
- Renée Yoxon: Two years of Monday late-night jazz
- Renée Yoxon and René Gely talk about making 'Let's Call It a Day' CD
- Renée Yoxon: "a jazz aesthetic is what you make of it"