Updated March 25, 2013
The Souljazz Orchestra's 2012 album, Solidarity, has been nominated for a 2013 Juno Award in the World Music Album of the Year Category.
This is their second Juno nomination: they were also nominated in 2011 for Instrumental Album of the Year for Rising Sun.
In late March, Souljazz also was named "World Group of the Year" at the 2013 Canadian Independent Music Awards.
The Juno nominations were announced February 19. The awards will be handed out in Regina in April. You can see the other nominations at JunoAwards.ca/nominees-winners/. No other jazz and related nominees came from Ottawa-Gatineau, but there's a good selection from Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal.
Juno-nominated artists who have played recently or will play in Ottawa-Gatineau include Elizabeth Shepherd, Diana Krall, Carol Welsman, François Houle, Joel Miller, Rafael Zalvidar, Cory Weeds, Pugs & Crows, and Alex Cuba.
– Alayne McGregor
See our coverage of other Juno winners and nominees from Ottawa and elsewhere:
- The Stretch Orchestra wins a 2012 Juno Award; tour delayed 
- Congratulations to Juno winner Kellylee Evans! 
- Sonia Johnson: not playing it safe with jazz 
- Juno nominee Fern Lindzon: "whatever inspires" 
- John MacLeod harnesses the creative energy of a big band with his Rex Hotel Jazz Orchestra