December 20, 2014 Dear reader: Have you participated in our 2014 community funding campaign?
OttawaJazzScene.ca needs the support of our readers so we can continue operating in 2015. Thanks to the 2014 campaign donors who have already helped we are more than halfway to our target! Please add your name to our our public list of supporters today. Or you can make an anonymous donation. It only takes 30 seconds to register your pledge for one year of support - we're not asking for any payment information right now. Find out more about our past accomplishments and how we support the community
Be sure to check out your donor benefits - and help us light up our "Community supported" banner again. Thank you for supporting The Scene!
Following the lead of the Montreal, Toronto, and Rochester jazz festivals, the Ottawa Jazz Festival revealed its 2013 Main Stage line-up on February 22.
Jazz artists not previously disclosed include
- the David Murray Big Band with Macy Gray,
- David Sanborn and Bob James with drummer Steve Gadd, and
- Jason Moran’s Fats Waller Dance Party.
- Montreal teenage jazz singer Nikki Yanofsky
The festival will close with a special tribute to its long-time programming manager, Jacques Émond, who died in January. The celebration of Emond's contribution to jazz in Ottawa will include concerts from two groups led by prominent Ottawa musicians: the Rob Frayne Dream Band and Los Gringos. It will also feature one of Emond's all-time favourite ensembles: the Vic Vogel Big Band from Montreal.
The Main Stage line-up also includes
- gospel/soul singer Aretha Franklin,
- country star Willie Nelson (who has had a number of high-profile duets with jazz musicians including Wynton Marsalis),
- Zydeco/blues/funk singer Dr. John and the Nite Trippers,
- British indie soul-rock group The Heavy, and
- rock stars David Byrne and St. Vincent.
Previously announced were jazz artists Wayne Shorter, Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Centre Jazz Orchestra, The Bad Plus, and the Chucho Valdés Quintet.
All announced artists will be performing on the Main Stage in Confederation Park, except for Wayne Shorter, who will be at Dominion Chalmers United Church.
In a release, the Festival said it “reaffirms its place as the event for discerning music fans in the Capital” with this announcement. On Facebook, it said, “Our membership had some very clear requests for 2013 and we did our best to accommodate. I think everyone will be happy with what we have so far.”
At the 2011 Festival's annual general meeting, concerns were raised about the amount of non-jazz at that year's festival. These followed a large number of similar listener comments that were expressed before, during and after the 2011 festival. OttawaJazzScene.ca reported on these in our extensive 2011 OttawaJazzScene.ca Jazz Listener Survey Results.
Still to be announced on April 10 are the artists in the Great Canadian Jazz, the Studio, the Improv Invitational, and the late-night After Dark series, plus concerts by local musicians. The festival will also be introducing a Signature Series, which will include Shorter's concert.
Not a subscriber to our free weekly jazz newsletter yet?
Subscribe today - You could win a 2013 Ottawa Jazz Festival Bronze pass!
The festival is offering a special deal on Bronze passes until March 4: $165. After that, the price will increase to $185. The 2012 price was $175. Gold passes (all shows, covered seating, and priority access) have been on sale since December for $299, the same price as last year. Prices include all taxes.
The 2013 Ottawa Jazz Festival runs from June 20 to 30, plus special Canada Day programming. The full line-up as so far revealed:
- June 20 The Heavy
- June 20 Dr. John & The Nite Trippers
- June 21 Willie Nelson and Family
- June 22 Macy Gray and David Murray Big Band: Stompin’ and Singin’ the blues
- June 23 David Byrne & St. Vincent
- June 24 Bob James and David Sanborn, featuring Steve Gadd
- June 25 The Chucho Valdés Quintet
- June 26 Aretha Franklin
- June ?? Jason Moran's Fats Waller Dance Party
- June 28 The Bad Plus
- June 29 Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis
- June 30 A Special Tribute to Jacques Émond
- June 30 Wayne Shorter Quartet
– Alayne McGregor
- 2012 Ottawa Jazz Festival lineup: what's on
- 2011 Ottawa Jazz Festival lineup: what's on
- The 2010 TD Ottawa International Jazz Festival is coming!
Updated March 7 to include Nikki Yanofsky.