Congratulations to Kate, Hannah, and Darwin who will be going on our IMOOfest 'weekend getaway'. OttawaJazzScene.ca will be reporting back about their impressions of the music after the concerts. Watch this space!
OttawaJazzScene.ca wants to take you on a free musical adventure this weekend.
The first IMOOfest, a mini-festival of creative, improvised music, will be held on the evenings of Friday, October 5 and Saturday, October 6, from 7 to 10 p.m. at Club SAW in Arts Court. And we're giving away IMOOfest passes (a $25 value each) to listeners who want to try something musically new and interesting this weekend.
Do you listen to jazz standards? Jazz vocals or big band? New or classical music? Rock? Folk? Hiphop? Are you're unsure about or unfamiliar with creative, improvised music? IMOOfest is an opportunity to try a variety of interesting music, that can best be appreciated hearing it played live. With four different concerts each evening by top Canadian improvisers, you'll be able to explore the music and discover what you like about it in a few hours. From solo saxophone to the IMOO Orchestra, there will be a smörgåsbord of improvised music to sample.
There's a catch (but an easy one!)
You cannot have attended a regular IMOO Series concert as a listener or performer before. We're seeking listeners who are unfamiliar with this music but are sincerely interested in exploring new musical territory for a few hours.
You have to tell us what you thought about the different concerts at the end of the evening so we can share your musical discoveries and reactions with our site visitors. All we want is your honest thoughts about the music you heard, and how it relates to your own musical experience and current likes. We certainly don't want to tell you what to think of the music, nor are we looking for a detailed concert review. As improvising percussionist Jesse Stewart (who will play at IMOOfest) said at a past concert, how you interpret the music is up to you. This is your opportunity!
Here's how to apply for the IMOOfest passes and your long weekend musical adventure:
Let us know what nights you will attend: Friday, October 5; Saturday, October 6; or both.
- If you're coming with a friend, have them apply as well, and let us know you'll be attending and commenting together.
We'll be there to greet you when you arrive at Club SAW.
Confirm that you are willing to share your opinions about the music you heard with us after the shows each night that you will attend. We'll want to talk with you for about 5 minutes - or more if you have a lot you want to say.
Tell us a little bit about your current musical likes and dislikes. Which live musical concerts you heard in the last year (of any kind of music) did you really enjoy? A few sentences is fine, but make it interesting. If you want to share longer thoughts, please do so.
Tell us briefly why you would like to attend IMOOfest to hear something new. One sentence is fine, but feel free to say more. We're looking for listeners who are excited about a weekend getaway!
The deadline to apply is this Friday, October 5 at 10 a.m. We will make a selection from all the entries received by 11 a.m. on Friday, October 5, and let everyone who contacted us know by email who has been selected and will receive passes. A minimum of two passes will be awarded, and possibly more depending, on the entries received.
We eagerly await your entries, and look forward to seeing you at IMOOfest this Friday - and jointly discovering some new music, never to be played the same way again.
OttawaJazzScene's past coverage (interviews, reviews, photos, videos) of Improvising Musicians of Ottawa/Outaouais (IMOO) concerts includes:
- Trumpets, Trumpets at IMOO (August 6, 2012)
- Thomson, Hood, and Stewart: Poetry in motion at IMOO (July 31, 2012)
- Rachel Therrien develops new sounds at IMOO (July 30, 2012)
- Poetry inspires music at IMOO on Sunday (June 8, 2012)
- Craig Pedersen explores Grey Areas with his new CD (May 23, 2012)
- James Annett brings improvised viola to IMOO (April 15, 2012)
- Two personae of Patrick Breiner (February 13, 2012)
- Full house, intent listeners greet Titanium Trio (January 23, 2012)
- The Titanium Trio: a different sound each time (January 16, 2012)
- A Very Ayler Christmas (December 17, 2011)
- IMOO musicians explore new ‘instruments’ and new approaches (December 5, 2011)
- Craig Pedersen, Hands-on musician (November 27, 2011)
- IMOO’s “quiet” concert #31 ends a successful first year (September 18, 2011)
- PianoLessMonk plays IMOO (June 2011)
- PianoLessMonk returns at IMOO on Sunday June 19 (June 2011)
- Carleton University Contemporary Music Ensemble fills the Umi Café (March 2011)
- M. Sean Dowd: Poetic reviewer of improvised music (February 2011)
- IMOO founders present original music on February 20 (February 2011)
- Pierre-Yves Martel anticipated at IMOO (February 2011)
- Rory Magill and eldritch Priest return to IMOO at UMI on Jan 23 (January 2011)
- IMOO: Unusual playing and unusual instruments (January 2011)
- An epic composition: brown study at IMOO (December 2010)
- Craig Pedersen talks about the Pedersen Essoudry Wellman Trio playing freely (July 2010)