Jazz fans, organizers and reporters attending the official 2013 Ottawa Jazz Festival lineup announcement on April 10 got JazzED, as the festival's newest educational initiative made its first festival appearance. Comprised of some very talented young musicians from Ottawa high schools, the band brought the good vibe of live jazz to the Fourth Stage while people arrived to hear the official unveiling of the 2013 lineup.
Ottawa Jazz Festival Programming Director Petr Cancura, who now spends most of his time in NYC but grew up in Ottawa and received his music degree from Carleton University, was visibly happy as he watched them play. Cancura said he had been "wanting to make the JazzEd program happen for a long time."
Band members are rehearsing weekly at Carleton University under the direction of Carleton U music instructor and 2013 Jazz Hero award recipient Roddy Ellias. They will perform at the Festival at 3 p.m. on Saturday, June 22 on the OLG Stage, as part of the Ottawa Jazz Festival's annual presentation of local youth bands.
The JazzED band members are
- Keagan Eskritt - drums (Nepean High School)
- Ben Heard - bass (Canterbury High School)
- Robert Wannell - guitar (Nepean High School)
- Ben Michel - piano (Canterbury High School)
- Ben King - trumpet (Nepean High School)
- Colin Lloyd - trombone (Earl of March Secondary School)
- Mitchell Whalen - bass trombone (Canterbury High School)
- Patrick Smith - tenor sax (Bell High School)
- Lucia Lacovitti-Villeneuve - vocals (All Saints Catholic High School)
– Brett Delmage
- Ottawa Jazz Festival 2013 lineup: what's on
- Jazzfest 2013: Great jazz from across Canada
- Jazzfest 2013: Local musicians you will want to hear
- Jazzfest 2013: Finding the music you like, by local musicians
- 2013 Ottawa Jazz Festival jams move 3.5 km west to Hintonburg