Updated February 5, 2018 to reflect the new time of La Roma shows, and the new location of Vocalist Open Mic
Want to know where to go to hear jazz at a formal concert in an intimate theatre-style space, or with a fine meal or a beer? OttawaJazzScene.ca regularly updates our list of jazz clubs and venues where you can hear live jazz of all kinds in Ottawa, Gatineau, and the National Capital Region.
"Jazz" covers a wide range of music, from quiet piano stylings to free avant-garde jazz to rock / funk / jazz mash-ups to creative, improvised music.It's constantly evolving.
Want to find out what's going to be playing at each venue in detail? We recently listed 79 jazz events in one bulletin!
OttawaJazzScene.ca runs on donations from jazz fans like you. Please make a donation to keep us shining a spotlight on jazz in Ottawa-Gatineau, and to keep resources like this updated and useful. Every week OttawaJazzScene.ca donors receive our carefully edited and comprehensive updated listings of what's on in jazz and creative, improvised music in Ottawa-Gatineau and within 100 km of Parliament Hill.
Concert venues which have a more formal listening experience include (in approximate order of frequency of jazz concerts presented)
- Ottawa-area churches (below)
- Record Runner Rehearsal Studios
- National Arts Centre, including the Fourth Stage community programming
- La Nouvelle Scène
- Shenkman Arts Centre (Orleans)
- Centrepointe Theatre (Nepean)
- Carleton University, and University of Ottawa
- Cabaret La Basoche (Gatineau - Aylmer sector)
- Salle Jean-Despréz (downtown Gatineau)
- Maison de la Culture de Gatineau (suburban Gatineau)
Ottawa-area churches with notable music programs which include jazz:
- Southminster United Church, 15 Aylmer Avenue at Bank Street: Wednesday noon and Saturday evening concerts, classical and jazz
- Church of the Ascension, 253 Echo Drive: monthly jazz concert series
- All Saints Anglican Westboro/First United Church, 347 Richmond Road: monthly jazz vespers
- Knox Presbyterian Church, 120 Lisgar Street at Elgin: monthly jazz vespers
- MacKay United Church, 39 Dufferin Road: occasional concerts
- Dominion Chalmers United Church, 355 Cooper Street: occasional concerts
The Ottawa and Gatineau area restaurants, bars, and venues listed alphabetically below present jazz. They are grouped them by area.
- East End
- Gatineau and other locations in the Outaouais (Québec)
- West End / Rural
- South End / Rural
137 Murray Street (in the ByWard Market)
Sunday afternoons: pianist J.P. Allain with a rotating list of fine Ottawa musicians
149 Kent Street at Albert Street
Saturday evenings, but not in July and August
JazzWorks jazz jams, on the third Thursday of the month (not in July and August)
Vocalist Open Mic, on the second Friday of the month
The Arrow and the Loon Pub
Fifth Avenue Court
Bank Street at Fifth Avenue, NE corner (in the Glebe)
First Sunday of each month, with the Glebop Trio, except in July and August
692 Somerset Street West (just west of Bronson Avenue)
Last Wednesday of the month, plus occasional other shows
5 Fairmont Avenue (at Wellington Street West), around the back
IMOO shows, approximately every second Sunday evening. Occasional other shows.
885 Bank Street (in the Glebe)
Most Sunday evenings except in July and August. Other occasional shows.
Every Tuesday for Beeched Wailers jazz jams, but not in July or August.
La Roma Restaurant
430 Preston Street
Steinway Piano Gallery Ottawa
1481A Innes Road (near Cyrville Road)
(just across the bridges from Ottawa, only a few-minutes by bus or bike or car from downtown Ottawa)
835 rue Jacques Cartier
Jazz piano on Friday and Saturday evenings
other parts of the Outaouais (further out)
The Black Sheep Inn
753 Riverside Drive
Café des Artistes de la Lièvre
408 avenue de Buckingham
Gatineau, Québec (secteur Buckingham)
Buckingham Buzz Jazz festival in November
715 Riverside Drive
Kanata Royal Oak
329 March Road
Traditional jazz on Sunday afternoons
The Grand Hotel
7 Bridge Street
Carleton Place, Ontario
First Thursday of each month with the Peter Brown Quartet. Has not started yet.
South Branch Bistro
15 Clothier Street East
downtown Kemptville, ON
Reservations and directions: 613-258-3737